HomeUncategorized10-11-08 Worked until Midnight

Hello from sunny (almost tropical,  -11 F. this morning) McMurdo!  It is just as beautiful (and cold) as I remember. Our plane left from Christchurch at 1:00 AM – which meant we had to be to the airport at 9:30 to get into gear, etc. etc. and load up.  I barely slept on the flight – from the uncomfortable seating. I was amazed at how calm I was compared to last year’s flight.  I had “newbies” on either side of me and they were literally jumping out of their skins in anticipation. 

Once out of the plane – I followed ‘the herd’ towards the Deltas and Airporters. There stood “ol’ Shuttle Bill” – bag of Peanut M&M’s in hand – ready to greet me!!!  He directed me to crawl into the cab of my old favorite – “Tina Marie” (Delta), along with one of the new Shuttle drivers. (Everyone else had to sit in the back (smile).  I wondered where Ivan the Terra bus was.  Turns out he had a severe radiator problem the previous morning.  Not a good way to start the busy season!   Since the sea ice is still frozen – we were able to take a “short cut” 45 minute ride back to McMurdo.  I pointed out the landmarks and local history to the new driver. Bill pointed out that it is “customary for the new driver to buy his first driver on the ice a bottle of red wine from the Kiwi Base liquor supply.”  (I  was quick to note the benefit of partnering in this.)    … yep – that’s the tradition!!!

My organization paid off – and all the boxes I shipped previously (in July) were sitting in the shuttle office waiting on me.  I haven’t had time yet to empty them – but did dig out a few essentials to get me through the night – and morning shower.

Let’s see – to get started back into driving the vehicles, I had to quickly browse through some procedures to make sure I remembered. I and another returning driver then went out and checked out some vehicles (vans and airporters – followed by the Deltas) making sure they were ready for the big flight due in later.  Our supervisor let us take a couple of hours off in the late afternoon to “nap” , eat supper and then return to work the flight.  We headed out to the Pegasus airport (approx. 20 miles out of McMurdo on the ALWAYS frozen sea ice area.)   I was kicking myself the whole way as I forgot my camera!!!   When the plane was in site – I went to open the back of my Delta – in preparation for the arriving pax.  Oh my – stuck.  I whacked it a few times with a hammer. (Yes, that’s why those are carried in the vehicles!) but it wouldn’t give.  Luckily a stronger person came along who, along with stronger ‘coaxing language’ than I used, was able to force it. 

All in all – I ended up working until midnight – playing taxi – helping the people that had just arrived haul their luggage to their dorms.  My final drive was to take my co-worker to her dorm. I then returned to the shuttles office. Closed up shop …. and walked to my dorm to CRASH.

I’m free (off duty) this morning. But have to attend a “Happy Camp Refresher Course” all afternoon. At least this time I will be sitting in a classroom type setting and not out in the snow!  Right now I will head back to my room and work on settling into my little space.

Okay… NOW you may begin with questions!  I’ll be happy to try and find the answers.


10-11-08 Worked until Midnight — No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *